Hooray!!! It’s *almost* fall – the temperatures are starting to cool down, the kids are back in school, and the leaves will soon to begin to turn colors. Which really means we no longer have the high heat of the Summer, or the freezing cold of Winter, nor the rain of Spring as an excuse to stay indoors on the couch. Yeah, yeah – football season is starting soon, but that’s why I’m offering up these 5 alternatives to watching football:
- Fly a kite. The fall is perfect for flying kites. Typically it’s windier, and most soccer fields etc are not in use anymore allowing a great big open space free of trees for you to fly a kite. My kids absolutely LOVE it!
- Go apple picking. Picking apples is a great way to spend time as a family, and to get kids excited about a healthy food. My oldest daughter had absolutely no interest in eating apples until the first time we went apple picking:
- Play in the leaves. Yes, this also means raking them first – you’ll get a great workout and the kids will have a blast!
- Go for a hike. Put on an extra sweater, some good shoes and take the kids for a nature walk/hike. Talk about the leaves changing colour, why they change and enjoy the fabulous outdoors!
- Go fishing. Fall fishing is hard to beat for great action. As the water cools and the wave action turns the water over, the oxygen levels go up and the fish become more active.
Question/Sharing: What fall activities do you like to do with your family?