If you’re new here, #MotivateME Monday is a weekly link-up co-hosted by myself and Running Rachel for accountability and encouragement. It’s a place for us to share goals, plans, successes and have each other to pick us up to keep moving forward.
Happy Monday everyone!
I hope that you all had a fabulous week! Mine was a roller coaster of ups and downs. On Monday we received two phone calls. One was from the Softball Coach from the Select team for Sierra’s age group to offer Sierra a position on the Select team. She accepted the offer and was ecstatic! Last year she made the switch from soccer to softball because she hates running. She displayed some natural talent so her coaches encouraged her to attend the indoor practices and batting, and to try out for the select team in the Spring. I’m so proud of my daughter!
The other phone call we received was from my husband’s parents. Unfortunately his grandmother who has been sick with cancer passed away. Dorothy was an amazing woman that we loved visiting every time we were up in Ottawa. She was sweet, kind and loving. She never forgot a birthday or anniversary, and a card always arrived in the mail for whoever’s birthday it was. We will greatly miss her.
My training this week didn’t quite go as I had planned. Tuesday I got up and did 1 mile speed repeats with Becky. On Wednesday hubby and I flew up to Ottawa for the funeral, then flew home Thursday night to get back to our daughters. My parents stayed with the girls while we were away. I tried to get up Friday morning to run, but I was honestly too exhausted from a bad night’s sleep, then that evening we had a softball meet the coaches night. On Saturday I picked up my road bike from the bike shop, and played softball at the park with the girls and our neighbour’s daughter, then Sunday was the Mississauga Half Marathon. The half marathon went VERY well, probably because I was running on rested legs for a change.
Can you believe it’s May already?!? Wow – it’s Spring and warm and awesome! Our calm between hockey season and softball season is now ending. I’m Sierra’s house league softball coach this year which will be interesting as I’ve never coached a sport before. I met our team on Friday night and at first I was kind of nervous, but I got over it rather quickly. Our family schedule is back to being completely FULL of sports games, practices and training. Brooke is playing softball, Amber is playing soccer and hubby is coaching, and Sierra is playing on two softball teams. At the end of this month I’ll be going to Las Vegas with my room mate from University to celebrate our 40th birthdays. With the Spring also comes wedding season. My daughters and I are in the wedding party of my friend’s wedding, and my cousin is also getting married. The next three months will be full of stagette’s, showers, rehearsal dinners etc. It’s because of our busy schedule that it’s more important than ever that I set out my goals and plans, otherwise it’s would be so easy for fitness and healthy eating to fall to the wayside.
My May goals:
- Run three times/week. Speed work on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday, and maintain my endurance with a 15-20k run every weekend.
- Swim two times/week. My goal is to swim on Monday and Wednesday mornings.
- Cycle three times/week. Spinning on Tuesday and Thursday during lunch, plus a long ride on every weekend (followed by a short 2k run).
- Strengthen my core. I’m going to begin a routine of planks, side planks, pushups, hamstring bridges, supermans etc with my training buddies after each of our runs together.
- Try to eat 7-8 servings of fruits and veggies every day.
- Strive for ~100g of protein every day.
- Alcohol only on Saturday nights. While I love to relax on our patio by our pool with a glass of wine after the kids sports, it’ll be better for my training if I just have water instead.
This week I’m recovering from yesterday’s half marathon. I ran it faster and harder than I had originally planned. It was supposed to be a training run, but my competitive spirit and rested legs had a completely other plan for me…. Ooops! Big big thanks goes out to my sponsor for the Mississauga Half Marathon, Burnbrae Farms – through their sponsorship I really learned how much adding more eggs into my regular diet can help with my training. (Spoiler: I set a new PB in the half marathon!).
Here’s this week’s training plan:
Monday: Rest day to recover from yesterday – I may practise clipping in and out on my bike on the trainer with my new cycling shoes in the garage if the rain cancels softball practice.
Tuesday: 9k run with the o’dark thirty club. I’ll be running easy, while Juliette and Becky are going to run 2 min hard with 2 min recovery jogs for 9k. Jason says he might join us so maybe he’ll run with me while Juliette and Becky speed ahead of us. During lunch I’ll go to spinning for 40 min.
Wednesday: 1k swim before work, then coaching softball after work.
Thursday: 9k tempo run with the o’dark thirty crew, followed by a brief core workout. 3 sets of: Planks, side planks, hamstring bridges, pushups and supermans. During lunch I’ll go to spinning for 40 min.
Friday: 1k swim before work. After work I’ll try to do a DailyBurn kettlebell workout.
Saturday: Longish bike ride – hoping for 40k, then a short 2k run.
Sunday: Longish run – 15k
I’m only 8 weeks away from Ironman 70.3 Muskoka so it’s time to really buckle down with my training – I can’t believe the race is so soon!
JOIN THE #MOTIVATEME LINK UP!
THE RULES ARE VERY SIMPLE:
- Every Monday share your fitness, nutrition plan etc by linking them up. All you will need is your post’s URL, and a photo you would like to attach.
- Posts that aren’t related will be deleted.
- In your post, please mention that you’re participating in #MotivateMe Monday link up, and link back to the hosts, Fitness Cheerleader at FitnessCheerleader.com, & Running Rachel at RunningRachel.com.
- Read what the other linkers, are sharing. Visit at least 2 other bloggers’ posts and share some support by commenting and engaging with each other. The more you support, the more support you will get back.