I don’t know about you, but nothing fills me more with anxiety than trying to figure out an awesome Christmas gift for my daughters’ teachers. How can I possibly give them a healthy gift that truly reflects how thankful I am for the wonderful care they give my girls that’s also affordable? With three daughters’ who each have two teachers (they’re in French Immersion so they all have both an English teacher and a French teacher) plus 6 daycare providers among them 12 gifts can become expensive!
This is why this year I decided to make the teachers something special, affordable (and healthy) Friendship Bean Soup Mix:
The girls and I had an absolute blast making these! We started off by using canva.com to design the recipe cards – the girls really like learning basic graphic design and photo editing skills, and were very helpful in choosing the layout for the cards:
We then took a trip to the Bulk Barn to pick up all of the food ingredients. (That store is my new BFF!). Normally I hate cooking because I can never find the spices I need – but Bulk Barn has everything! If you ask the staff nicely they’ll even lend you some measuring cups so that you can measure out the precise amount you need of each ingredient:
The price was right too. I was able to buy all the dry goods I needed to make 12 jars of the soup mix for $17.49.
We then headed to Target Canada to buy the 1 pint Mason Jars ($7.99), bows ($2.10), ribbon ($2.10), small sandwich baggies ($3.49) and gift bags ($9.00).
Grand total for all of our supplies = $45.38
I really like that this “craft” for lack of a better term, was well within daughters’ skill levels. I once tried making the layered jar for chocolate chip cookies two years ago and that was a complete disaster – we had flour everywhere! (And Sierra wouldn’t stop eating the chocolate chips).
They all took their jobs very seriously! Though we still ended up with barley and lentils all over the floor *grin*. All in all the girls greatly enjoyed their time with me, and are very proud to bring the gifts to school for their teachers!
- ¼ cup white navy beans
- ¼ cup kidney beans
- ¼ cup green split peas
- ¼ cup pinto beans
- 2 tbs. pearl barley
- 2 tbs. parsley
- 2 tbs. minced dry onion
- 1-2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tbs. dried bay leaves
- 1/4 cup alphabet pasta (we used insect pasta)
- 1 pint jar
- Stretchy ribbon
- Sandwich bags
- Single hole punch
- 6 cups water
- 1 can tomato soup
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-pint canning jar.
- Place the macaroni in a plastic sandwich bag.
- Place the minced onion, parsley, basil leaves and beef bouillion in a plastic sandwich bag.
- Layer the ingredients as level as possible in this order: white navey beans, kidney beans, green split peas, pinto beans, pearl barley, bagged seasonings and bagged pasta.
- Secure the lid and decorate the jar as desired. Be sure to attach the recipe for making the soup!
- Wash beans and allow to soak overnight. Drain.
- Add 6 cups of water to beans and allow to cook
- Add 1 can of tomato soup, pasta and seasonings.
- Let simmer another 20-30 min. Serve & enjoy!
And of course, we tried out the soup ourselves for our Sunday afternoon lunch – it turned out well and everyone asked for seconds!
Does buying teachers gifts fill you with anxiety too?