One of the toughest things I ‘ve encountered as a parent is planning my kids ‘ birthday parties. Should I hire an entertainer? What should I serve? How do I keep the party healthy? Etc … With a backyard pool it doesn ‘t make sense for us to go anywhere for a party, so I host cooking/pool parties! Here are some of the things we make:
2. Veggie kebobs ” cut up some veggies (onion, green, red & yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes etc) and give each kid a stick to slide the fruit on. Brush each stick with oil and grill on the BBQ.
3. Make your own mini pizza ” pizza sauce, shredded cheese, various veggies, pepperoni, ham etc.. Give each kid a whole wheat greek style pita and let them create! Then pop the pizza ‘s in the oven long enough to melt the cheese.
4. Make your own smoothies ” yogourt, ice, fruit ” let each kid decide what fruit they want and blend. If the kids are older, let them press the blender button.
5. Make your own frozen yogourt sundae (this is a great alternative to a cake). Vanilla frozen yogourt topped with strawberries, bananas, and chocolate ” yum!
6. Chocolate fondue ” dip fruit in melted chocolate, I find that the good Belgian chocolate from Bulk Barn w
works well. (This isn ‘t the healthiest option on my list, but it at least gets them to eat some fruit).
My daughters are 5 and 3 and they love these! Not only have these activities kept them and their friends entertained, but they also encouraged them to eat healthier foods. Two birthday problems solved at once!