In my house, I love to find ways to make healthy eating FUN! And dessert is definitely no exception! This dessert is for the kid in all of us – afterall it’s hard to resist the the sweet flavor of a frozen banana that has been covered with a thin coating of shiny chocolate and then rolled in chopped nuts, toasted coconut, granola or even candied sprinkles. As well, making these delicious Chocolate Banana Pops with your kids as it is a fun way to introduce them to the pleasures of the kitchen.
Making these delicious Chocolate Banana Pops with your kids as it is a fun way to introduce them to the pleasures of the kitchen.
- 4 ounces (115 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 large ripe bananas
- Chopped peanuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts or pistachios
- Toasted unsweetened coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, wax paper, or aluminum foil.
- Cut the bananas into 2 - 3 inch (5 - 7 cm) chunks. Insert a popsicle stick, bamboo skewer, or a chopstick into the pieces of banana. Place on the prepared baking sheet and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and oil (light olive oil or vegetable oil) in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Then remove the bananas from the freezer and, taking one piece of banana at a time, dip in the melted chocolate, making sure the banana is completely covered with chocolate. If desired, roll (or sprinkle) the chocolate coated banana in chopped nuts, toasted coconut, granola, or colored sprinkles. The chocolate covered bananas can be eaten right away or place them back on the baking sheet and freeze.
- Once completely frozen, the bananas can be stored in a covered container, for about one week. To soften the bananas, place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.