Welcome to my first ever What I Ate Wednesday post! I’ve seen so many blogs participating and have never participated myself because I haven’t wanted to spoil your views of me. Truthfully, I’m not the healthiest eater, in fact, if you were to put a label on my eating style it would probably be described as: Garbage Truck.
I eat pretty much anything that’s put in front of me – for instance, it was my co-worker’s birthday on Monday (Happy Birthday S!) and she brought in a cake to celebrate – so I ate a GIANT piece of cake.
So I’ve decided to join in on What I Ate Wednesday link up to make me more accountable – I really hope that this will force me to choose healthier meals so that I actually have healthy food porn to share with you. So far I’ve done ok. I’ve been eating salad with no dressing at work for my lunches (I forgot the ones I packed on the kitchen counter two days in a row):
And I made a Greek Quinoa Salad on Sunday to have as a side dish with our dinners:
As well, knowing that I wanted to participate in #WIAW this week, helped me to make a smarter snack choice when I was feeling peckish mid-afternoon at work, so I had this delicious Taste of Nature trail mix bar:
Truthfully I’m frustrated that I’m gaining weight. It’s not the # on the scale or the way that my clothes fit that bothers me – the fact that what I feel is my top speed is a good 30sec/km slower than what it was last year. It’s also the fact that the weight is coming on at an alarming rate – approximately 4lbs/month. (Am I REALLY eating THAT MUCH chocolate?).
So I’m going to be food journalling and taking pics of my meals. Not all of them, but hopefully there will be enough healthy meals each week to at least come up with a decent blog post to share with you.
Question/Sharing: How do you stay accountable with healthy eating?
PS – interested in staying accountable too? Then join the party and link up on Peas and Crayons every Wednesday!
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 chopped english cucumber
- 1/2 diced red onion
- handful grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 3/4 cup greek salad dressing
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- Using a strainer, rinse the quinoa under cold water.
- Add quinoa, and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let quinoa cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives, red onion, feta cheese and greek salad dressing.
- Tip: Season to taste with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.