A few weeks back I found myself with a rare Friday night off of softball and kids activities so I decided to invite my bestie over for a dinner. I wanted to treat her because, well she deserves it! Who else would get up early to run with me at 6 am 3 times a week?!?
Because it’s summer, I wanted to make something light and fresh that would pair well with a glass of wine 🙂 Juliette’s favourite wine is Pinot Grigio so I bought us a bottle of an Italian pinot called The Diplomat.
According to the sales lady, this wine has notes of pear and apple with just a hint of lemon, so I figured this dry wine would be a perfect pair for my chili lime chicken recipe.
To go along with the chicken, I thought a nice, light citrus salad would be nice. Quinoa, mandarin oranges, chick peas and spinach tossed together with a nice citrus salad dressing was the perfect side.
I made the dressing by mixing together the basics of any vinaigrette dressing:
- An oil – I prefer extra virgin olive oil (EVOO),
- A vinegar – for this I used white wine vinegar, and
- Seasoning – sea salt, minced garlic and black pepper.
The ratio of oil to vinegar in a vinaigrette is 3 to 1. I then added orange juice, lemon juice and a bit of honey as a sweetener and mixed it well in my Blendtec blender using the wild side jar.
While her kids swam and enjoyed the pool, we sat poolside and enjoyed our chicken, citrus salad and wine 🙂 It felt really good to have some time to treat her for all she does for me!
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend well until emulsified.
- Can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
When was the last time you treated your bestie?