As I wrote on Monday, I have a half marathon to run this coming weekend that I registered for several months ago that I haven’t really trained for. By training, I ‘m referring to following a plan with some sort of consistency that is designed to increase my endurance strength and speed that alternates hard/easy runs with longer runs. I’ve been exercising on a fairly regular/consistent basis, but not in a manner that would ever improve my running performance. I would say it barely has been meeting the recommendations for general health (minimum of 30 minutes of moderate to intense exercise on most days of the week).
I am in no way prepared for this “race”.
So in an effort to motivate myself to do this race despite feeling apprehensive about the whole thing, I present to you my top 10 reasons to run a race that you haven’t trained for:
- You can enjoy the course and take time to high-five all the kids and fans cheering you on.
- You won’t be wasting money since you alreasy paid for this.
- It’ll motivate you to train harder for the next race.
- You can wear a fun costume and not worry about it interfering you’re your finishing time.
- You’ll actually have time to smile at the race photographers and look like your having fun in your race photos.
- It’s a great excuse to get away from the kids for several hours.
- You’ll still get to celebrate with a beer afterwards at the post-race party.
- You’ll get to set a new personal worst.
- You’ll still get a medal and ugly race t-shirt to add to your collection.
- It’s fun!
Have you ever ran a race that you didn’t train for?